Since the Brexit, only British citizens that are holders of an M or N card are authorised to work in Belgium, as an employee or self-employed. They do not have to apply for a work permit.
All other British citizens wishing to work in the Brussels Capital Region (as an employee or self-employed) have to complete the application procedures for non-European citizens, as explained on our website.
- In general, an employee must apply for an employment authorisation through their future employer in the Brussels Capital Region.
To know what to apply for, select the employee's situation and the planned duration of the employment in Belgium.
- A self-employed person needs to apply for a professional card.
Consult the steps to undertake to apply for a professional card.
- The Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, of the one part, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, of the other part, contains regulations with regard to economic migration in "Chapter 4: Entry and temporary stay of natural persons for business purposes" and stipulates certain preferential terms for British citizens with regard to:
- Intra-corporate transferees and business visitors for establishment purposes (Article 141)
- Short-term business visitors (Article 142)
- Contractual service suppliers and independent professionals (Article 143)
For those matters for which the agreement stipulates more favourable terms for British citizens than those stipulated in the regulations with regard to employing foreign workers or with regard to foreign self-employed people, Brussels Economy and Employment will apply them in full, provided that the terms in question are considered sufficiently precise and unconditional.
Let us specify, however, that the trade agreement has no impact on the exemptions provided for in the Limosa legislation. The obligations arising from this legislation for citizens of third countries therefore remain applicable for British citizens, in spite of a possible exemption from a work permit or professional card.
Should you have any specific questions, feel free to contact us.