The situation of the (potential) employee
Are you exempted or should you request autorisation? Do you need to apply for a work permit or a single permit? How?
Find out by selecting the situation of the (potential) employee below.
Please note the following with regard to a single permit application :
- If you wish (Belgian employer) or need (foreign employer) to call on a service provider to submit your permit applications :
you and your representative must follow the procedure for a power of attorney.
- For every application for which a proof of payment of the fee must be included:
you can find more information on this fee on the website of the Immigration Office.
- When Brussels Economy and Employment delivers a work permit, that does not automatically lead to the Immigration Office delivering a single permit. The single permit is only delivered to people meeting the conditions mentioned in articles 61/25-1 and following of the law dated 15/12/1980.
Executive, director, researcher, highly qualified, professor, temporary intra-corporate transfer (ICT), etc.
- Guest professor
- Highly qualified worker, director or executive (including a "blue card" applicant)
- Post-doctoral scholar
- Temporary intra-corporate transfer (ICT)
- Airline company – person exercising a function with a high level of responsibility in a foreign airline company that has a registered office in Belgium
- Au pair
British workers in the Brussels Capital Region
- Cross-border worker
- Domestic servant
- Inner circle meetings – worker comes to Belgium to take part in inner circle meetings for discussions, contract negotiations, evaluation interviews, etc.
- Installation or assembling goods – worker employed by an employer established abroad, coming to Belgium for the initial assembly and/or the first installation of a good
- International agreement – worker employed pursuant to an international agreement
- Long-term resident in another EU member state
- Military graves – staff employed by military graves commissions
- Performing artist
- Professional athlete or trainer
- Prototype testing - worker comes to carry out prototype tests
- Provision of services – worker employed by a company in a member state of the EEA, coming to Belgium to provide services
- Regularisation – national who applied for a regularisation of stay between 15 Sept and 15 Dec 2009, for which application the Immigration Office makes the regularisation conditional upon obtaining a work permit
- Religious official
- Scientific congress – worker coming to Brussels to attend a scientific congress
- Seafarer – worker registered in the Belgian merchant navy seamen's pool
- Seasonal worker – agricultural activities
- Single permit or type B work permit during several years – national who can justify several work years covered by a single permit or a type B work permit (former "type A permit")
- Specialised technician for installation or repair work
- Tourism office – person exercising a function with a high level of responsibility in a tourism office for their country
- Training - seconded worker, coming to Belgium to undergo training
- Other function, other situation or lower salary than those mentioned above
As a reminder, every worker should be remunerated in accordance with the Belgian legislation (for instance, the competent joint committee), and this remuneration cannot be lower than 1.625,72 € (collective labour agreement no. 43 of the National Labour Council).